Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Play It Again, Jean – Part 2

Ever wonder what might happen if you were to submit a playlist of some of your favorite songs to a psychologist? What would he or she say about your choice of songs? Perhaps my choice in music might reveal I’m a warm, sensitive, and humorous person who seeks truth, wisdom, and beauty. Or perhaps it might reveal some other things about me. I believe music can be therapeutic- especially when you are alone- but I also believe music can be most pleasurable when it is a shared experience. It might sound pathetic but those times I connected with other people- through music- have been some of the happiest times of my life. Here are some (more) of my favorite songs from my blog. Enjoy!

Dion

01. Screeching Weasel – “I’m Gonna Strangle You” (1993) from Pop Punk
This was the opening track to Anthem for a New Tomorrow and I love the way the song just jumps out of the speakers (I read somewhere it’s lead singer Ben Weasel’s favorite Screeching Weasel song). Once a pop punk loudmouth, know-it-all, and fierce critic of organized religion, I hear Weasel is now Catholic and attends Mass regularly with his wife and kids.

02. The Neon Philharmonic – “Morning Girl” (1969) from Psychedelic Laundromat
I dig the lyrics but it’s the string section that really puts this groovy tune over the top for me.

03. Paul McCartney – “Early Days” (2013) from Sir Walrus – Part 2
The old Beatle shows he’s still got a few tricks left up his sleeve and here displays a rare vulnerability.

04. Bob Weir – “Ki-Yi Bossie” (2016) from Rock: Think & Relax
The former Grateful Dead sideman emerges from the clouds of fame and addiction and gets real. I find the lyrics to be some of the best I’ve heard in years. This is the song every Dead fan needs to hear but probably won’t. For some reason this song reminds me of Hawaii.

05. Hüsker Dü – “Divide and Conquer”  (1985) from The Jean Goes to College – Part 1
Bob Mould was ranting about the Internet, “fake news”, election hacking, and fascist-populist thugs way back in 1985. How cool is that? I love the sound he gets from his guitar.

06. Johnny Cash – “We’ll Meet Again” (2002) from Country Grab Bag – Part 3
Another song that reminds me of Hawaii (not to mention Dr. Strangelove). Do I hear ukuleles? Cash recorded this World War II era classic just before his death in 2003. Not a bad way to leave the earth in your Aloha shirt. See you on the other side, Johnny.

07. Pixies – “Wave of Mutilation” (1989) from The Jean Goes to College – Part 1
Pixies stumbled upon their sound and then influenced all the alternative bands who came after them. Love the defiance, imagery, and beat in this song. Strange lyrics (as usual) but writer and singer Black Francis (Frank Black) sells it (and thinks it’s just surf music).

Bob Weir

08. James McMurtry and the Heartless Bastards – “Out Here in the Middle (Live)” (2003) from Folkies II
I like songs that talk about what’s really happening to people (ie. your jerk boss shaming you in public). McMurtry invites everyone in America to come and live in the red states where life is kinder and simpler. Perhaps it was- but not anymore. I like when the one audience member shouts out in support of the William Jennings Bryan reference. Classic.

09. André Previn, London Symphony Orchestra – “Britten: Four Sea Interludes, Op. 33a: III. Moonlight” (1976) from Classical Music Faves – Part 1
This song about moonlight on the North Sea is pretty far out but then keeps returning to that beautiful, dramatic melody. Lonely. Haunting. Love it.

10. The Divine Comedy – “Absent Friends” (2004) from What's the Alternative?
I have a soft spot for songs that name drop dead celebrities like ‘60s movie icon Steve McQueen. Friends come in and out my life but I raise a glass to them- and hope we meet again some day.

11. Greg Graffin – “Millport” (2017) from Punk Saint Patrick’s Day!
There were hints in some of Bad Religion’s ‘90s songs that someone in the California punk band was interested in country music- turns out it’s lead singer Greg Graffin whose voice is so distinctive the guy can do anything he wants and lately he wants to make country rock. Somehow it works and the atheist science professor and punk icon can now hang with red staters- and American music comes full circle.

12. Bee Gees – “Had a Lot of Love Last Night” (1974) from The Brothers Gibb – Part 4
Love those brotherly harmonies.

13. Bob Dylan – “Red River Shore” (1997) from R. Zimmerman from Minnesota – Part 5
Just solid storytelling. Each time I listen to this song I get something new and interesting from it.

14. Jawbreaker – “The Boat Dreams from the Hill” (1994) from 24 Year Revenge Therapy
The first three songs on 24 Hour Revenge Therapy hit listeners with a one-two-three punch and for me the three songs kind of blend into one. This first song is Jawbreaker’s statement that the band is through messing around- they are coming at you with everything they’ve got and it is a direct attack of emotion, desire, and truth. Later bands would try to replicate this formula and call it emo.

Jawbreaker

15. Jawbreaker – “Indictment” (1994) from 24 Year Revenge Therapy
The second song is no less powerful than the first as the band takes joy in breaking free of the chains of ‘90s punk music’s restrictions and expectations. Jawbreaker put the fun and acid tongued wit back into music- listen to the lyrics- and the thrill of the band’s public liberation was contagious.

16. Jawbreaker – “Boxcar” (1994) from 24 Year Revenge Therapy
The third song is Jawbreaker’s wonderful middle finger to the whole ‘90s punk scene and all the petty, grumpy, narrow minded scenesters who seemed more interested in making and following rules and telling other people what to do than in having fun, dancing, and falling in love. You’re only young once.

17. Jim Croce – “Bad, Bad Leroy Brown” (1973) from Blue Jean Rock Poets
The ‘70s sound like they were a lot of fun. More songs like this, please!

18. The Beatles –  “Can’t Buy Me Love” (1964) from One Love
I was listening to this song in an Asian supermarket a few months ago and realized the lyrics are kind of the Beatles’ manifesto: a rejection of mass consumerism and a call for peace and love which would soon result in the rise of a mass counter-culture and youth movement that shook the world. Not bad.

19. Neil Young – “Pocahontas” (1976) from Classic Rock: Choice Cuts III
We all have weird thoughts sometimes- Neil Young just records and sells his. I heard Neil came up with this song in one sitting and then recorded it right there on the spot. American history is filled with so many interesting stories that would make great songs. Why is this song not more popular and played on the radio every Fourth of July? Why aren’t there more songs about Pocahontas?

20. Bobby Short – “I Happen to Like New York (Live)” (1973) from Easy Does It
No one has ever accused the Jean of loving New York City, but the wonderful lyrics and Bobby Short’s conviction hit all the right sweet spots for me. I recommend all aspiring songwriters to become familiar with the music and lyrics of Cole Porter.

21. The Replacements – “Androgynous” (1984) from Twinkie Force 101: Influences – Part 1
This was one of my favorite songs in junior high school. I wasn't sure what the word androgynous meant at the time but I soon figured it out. Paul Westerberg was singing about transgender issues long before it was hip. Just one more reason to like the Replacements.

22. Dion – “I Can’t Help But Wonder Where I’m Bound” (1965) from Oldies: Pass the Fritos
This song usually brings a tear to my eye- and that's not an easy thing to do.

23. The Smiths – “Asleep” (1985) from What's the Alternative?
“There is another world.”


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...




Recommended Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment