Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Play It Again, Jean – Part 3

Whether it’s a song, a movie, or a book, the artist’s objective is to make us feel. For some of us, music can be like a drug in that we’re always looking forward to the next rush- the next great song- and it can eventually take larger and larger doses of new and exciting music to make us feel anything. But one good thing about music is there is always more to discover including music you may have forgotten or pushed aside only to go back and discover it is truly awesome. But that music hasn’t changed. You’ve changed. You can’t step into the same river twice- but can you listen to the same song twice?

Sonic Youth

What makes us want to listen to the same song, watch the same movie, or read the same book again and again? I think it is not the art but the feeling we are pursuing and this is something advertisers, record companies, and movie and television executives have long understood. Whether it’s happiness, sadness, or something less defined, we want to feel that way again. Here are some more of my favorite songs from my blog. Enjoy!

Social Distortion

01. Skeeter Davis – “The End of the World” (1962) from Country Grab Bag – Part 3
A perfect, timeless song; used quite effectively, I thought, in the Mad Men episode “The Grown-Ups” about the JFK assassination and its aftermath.

02. Social Distortion – “Prison Bound” (1988) from Twinkie Force 101: Influences – Part 1
I bought Prison Bound on vinyl when I was 14 years old and listened to it over and over in my bedroom and it really took me to another world. Mike Ness’ romantic outlaw persona (informed by his heroes Chuck Berry, Bob Dylan, and Johnny Cash) mixed with his roots in the L.A. punk scene made for a great listen in 1988- still does.

03. Sonic Youth – “Youth Against Fascism” (1992) from The Jean Goes to College – Part 1
In the fall of '92 I was a freshman and aspiring college radio DJ in Virginia when I first heard this song on my radio show (sometimes I would just play songs that looked interesting). Is the band really protesting- or just making fun of slackers? Who cares, this song rocks! That’s guest star Ian MacKaye (Fugazi) in the background playing the menacing guitar.

04. Liz Phair – “Why Can’t I?” (2003) from Alternative Grab Bag III
A friend turned me onto this song some years ago and I think it’s a great blend of smart pop and catchy indie/alternative. More songs like this, please!

05. William Shatner – “Common People” (2004) from Where's Captain Kirk?
What’s not to like about this song? My favorite moment is when the mass chorus comes in and joins the fun. That’s singer Joe Jackson backing Shatner on vocals.

06. Travis – “Selfish Jean” (2007) from Alternative Grab Bag III
This Jean person sounds like a real handful; also sounds like Travis is actually having fun with this song. I like the cryptic lyrics à la Morrissey and the Smiths (or most any ‘80s British new wave band).

07. The Darkness – “Growing on Me” (2003) from Rock Grab Bag II
A friend turned me onto the Darkness about six years ago. If you think hard rock or glam is dead, check out these Brits.

Sonny & The Sunsets

08. Simon & Garfunkel – “The Only Living Boy in New York” (1970) from All Is Groovy
The otherworldly vocal harmonies in this song always remind me of heaven and the Trinity. “Here I Am.”

09. Johnny Cash – “Big Iron” (2002) from Country Grab Bag – Part 2
I’m not going to say this version is better than the Marty Robbins original, but you can hear and feel Cash’s love and respect for each perfectly chosen word.

10. John Phillips – “Topanga Canyon” (1970) from Rock: Think & Relax
Even without the rest of the Mamas and the Papas, Phillips was a great singer-songwriter. Too bad he got lost along the way.

11. R.E.M. – “Nightswimming” (1992) from What's the Alternative? II
Not sure what this song is really about (skinny-dipping at night? I’ve done that) but it’s quite pretty and for some reason reminds me of a high school music recital. Life goes by fast. Enjoy it.

12. Stevie Wonder – “I Believe (When I Fall in Love It Will Be Forever)” (1972) from Soul by the Dozen III
I went through a pretty big Stevie Wonder phase after moving back home to attend graduate school on Long Island. This song was one of my favorites. “God always will answer your prayers.”

13. Sonny & The Sunsets – “Green Blood” (2013) from What's the Alternative? II
Fun science fiction love song from an album I discovered and bought at a record store in Amsterdam.

14. Superchunk – “Everything at Once” (2010) from What's the Alternative?
Part of the fun of being a Superchunk fan is trying to figure out the lyrics.

The Handsome Family

15. Buffalo Springfield – “Kind Woman” (1968) from Rock: Think & Relax
I like the way the song takes its time unrolling and stretching out like an old sleeping bag- or a late night conversation. Will she or won’t she?

16. The Darkness – “I Believe in a Thing Called Love” (2003) from Glam Rock!
I usually don’t care for lyrics that confuse love with lust- but this song just rocks.

17. Santana – “Everybody’s Everything” (1971) from Classic Rock: Choice Cuts
I like the way Carlos Santana patiently waits his turn- like a caged tiger- until it’s time for the guitar solo and then he jumps into the mix with those sharp teeth and claws and just totally shreds it.

18. The Handsome Family – “So Much Wine” (2000) from Alt Country
I like Christmas songs, crazy love songs, and songs that recognize we are all finite beings with infinite desires. This one has all three.

19. Paul Mauriat – “Love Is Blue” (1968) from Jean's Jazz: Smells Good
That’s right. I dig ‘60s French pop-jazz. You can toss this one in the guilty pleasure pile if you like although I’m not sure I see the line anymore between guilty pleasure and “serious” music.

20. The Darkness – “Nothin’s Gonna Stop Us” (2012) from Glam Rock!
Catchy, over the top, life affirming. I guess with this song I'm now officially a Darkness fan.

21. Dusty Springfield – “Stay Awhile” (1964) from Girl Groups!
Hooks, great pipes, and everything but the kitchen sink à la Phil Spector. What’s not to like?

22. Snow Patrol – “Open Your Eyes” (2006) from Good Time Boys
Love the drama in this song. First heard it at the end of the surprisingly moving 2013 documentary 1 about the history of Formula One auto racing. Really. It’s a good movie.


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...



No comments:

Post a Comment