Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Play It Again, Jean – Part 5

If there is a common thread running through my favorite songs then perhaps it is this: I like songs that express universal truths about the human experience, hold up over time, and recognize both the good and the bad about life. At the end of the day I’d like to think I’m an optimist who shows empathy toward my fellow human beings but I probably fall short more often than not. We’re all in this together so why not try to make and listen to some good music while we’re trying to make our way home? Is that too much to ask? Here are some more of my favorite songs from my blog. Enjoy!

Fugazi

01. Fugazi – “Public Witness Program” (1993) from The Jean Goes to College – Part 1
In Fugazi, Guy Picciotto and Ian MacKaye usually split vocal duties. The Guy songs tend to be weirder and more intense- like this one. I think it’s about police, civilians, and family members all spying on each other in East Germany- for decades- before the fall of the Berlin Wall. There’s a good movie about this subject- The Lives of Others. I love the handclaps in this song. About as pop as Fugazi gets.

02. Screeching Weasel – “I Can See Clearly” (1991) from Twinkie Force 101: Influences – Part 2
Based out of Chicago, Screeching Weasel spent most of the late ‘80s and early ‘90s touring in a van and sleeping on floors so I imagine this song was an attempt to lift the band’s spirits. SW were really good at writing catchy pop punk anthems and this Johnny Nash cover is probably their best known tune. I’ve often wondered why pop punk bands didn’t just stick to writing anthems. I think a whole album’s worth of catchy pop punk anthems would be awesome. Or would that be just too much for the listener?

03. The Verve – “Bittersweet Symphony” (1997) from Good Time Boys
The song that made me buy the album that made me take notice of Britpop. Very British- right down to the Rolling Stones/Andrew Loog Oldham orchestral sample- and yet somehow the song still took late ‘90s America by storm. 20 years later and it still sounds good- probably because it’s all true.

04. Bob Dylan – “The Groom’s Still Waiting at the Altar” (1981) from R. Zimmerman from Minnesota – Part 1
Bob Dylan takes on the Bible, the Middle East, and a woman- all in one song. The late ‘70s and early ‘80s is sometimes known as Dylan’s born-again Christian period. I love the way this song just sounds so crazy, confused and chaotic- a reflection of the times. Better than most punk songs.

05. Fugazi – “Rend It” (1993) from The Jean Goes to College – Part 1
Fugazi has played shows all over the world and has always been very open about their politics. I think this song is about torture. Fugazi is against it.

06. Superchunk – “Slack Motherfucker” (1990) from The Jean Goes to College – Part 1
One of the last big “college radio” hits, this is the song that put Superchunk and North Carolina indie music on the map. In college my friend Toast and I began to drift apart musically but we always agreed on Superchunk. “Slack Motherfucker” reminds me of my days and nights delivering pizza in New York.

07. Eugene Ormandy, Philadelphia Orchestra, Mormon Tabernacle Choir – “Bach: Sleepers Awake from Cantata No. 140, BWV 140 - Voice” (1970) from Classical Music Faves – Part 2
So beautiful. Makes me want to die and go to heaven just to hear more music like this.

The Clash

08. Superchunk – “What a Time to Be Alive” (2018) from Alternative Grab Bag II
30 years later and Superchunk is still going strong with their first overtly political anthem. I like the message of the song: if your happiness is determined by who’s in the White House then you’re missing out on life. Life is happening- right now- there is no pause button. If you're so upset with the current political situation then do something about it. Talk is cheap. Turn off your phone and put your time, money, and action where your mouth is. That's what Fugazi- and Superchunk- would do.

09. Jawbreaker – “Jet Black” (1995) from Get a Life
Listened to this album a lot in college when I was going through a tough time and loved every song. Although they were probably close to breaking up by this point, the band sounds relaxed, the songs take their time, and lyrically Blake seems to be onto something. But then they broke up.

10. They Might Be Giants – “Tesla” (2013) from What's the Alternative?
I like songs that teach as well as entertain.

11. Judy Collins – “Both Sides Now” (1967) from Folkies II
Composed by Joni Mitchell, this song pretty much defines the term bittersweet and speaks honestly of the highs and lows of love and life.

12. Cracker – “Euro-Trash Girl” (1992) from Alternative Grab Bag
The first rule of good fiction writing is make terrible things happen to your main character- then make things get even worse for him. I lived in Europe for a few years and loved it. I hope this song is a total work of fiction- but I doubt it. (I like any song that makes me chuckle.)

13. The Clash – “Should I Stay or Should I Go” (1982) from Career Opportunities
My older sister had Combat Rock on vinyl and the album cover always scared me. The Clash were in full greaser band mode by this point and I dig the background vocals in Spanish. This song and the next one were everywhere in the summer of ‘82. Just simple, catchy rock & roll.

14. The Clash – “Rock the Casbah” (1982) from Career Opportunities
The Clash wade into Middle East politics and create one of their best songs. Joe Strummer- the son of a British diplomat- was born in Turkey and spent much of his early childhood overseas.

15. Queen – “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” (1979) from Rock Hard
‘50s and ‘60s greaser rock seemed to be making a comeback in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s- Stray Cats, the Clash, Sha Na Na- but perhaps none of them nailed it quite as perfectly as Queen did with this song.

Gordon Lightfoot

16. Jello Biafra and Mojo Nixon – “Love Me, I’m a Liberal” (1994) from Punk Saint Patrick’s Day!
I like satire and if you can’t poke fun at yourself then I feel sorry for you. More songs like this, please!

17. Screeching Weasel – “What We Hate” (1991) from Twinkie Force 101: Influences – Part 1
I was lucky enough to see Screeching Weasel play live in early ‘93 in the back of Maxwell’s restaurant in Hoboken, New Jersey with the classic line up of Ben Weasel, Dan Vapid, Dan Panic, and Jughead. One might think this song depressing after reading the lyrics but for me it was always a positive anthem about opening your eyes to the truth, staying positive, and fighting for what you want in this life. 

18. The Queers – “Mrs. Brown, You’ve Got an Ugly Daughter” (1998) from Pop Punk
Another pop punk band I saw play live at Maxwell’s back in the ‘90s. A friend turned me onto this song about six years ago. I used to listen to it in the car during my morning commute. Makes me feel happy.

19. The Beatles – “She’s Leaving Home” (1967) from Four Guys from Liverpool – Part 1
I highly recommend the PBS television special  “Sgt. Pepper's Musical Revolution” which takes you inside the classic album and reminds you what’s so great about the music. For me, this song in particular really shines with great writing and wonderful vocal performances by John Lennon and Paul McCartney.

20. Martina McBride & Pat Monahan – “Marry Me” (2011) from New Country
I like how these two characters in a café don’t even know each other and yet their imaginations are already jumping ahead to marriage. I once watched an interesting French movie- 5X2- that begins with both husband and wife sitting in a divorce lawyer’s office. The film then proceeds to go backwards and ends on the day when the couple first met. Ouch.

21. The Mamas and the Papas – “My Heart Stood Still” (1966) from In Praise of Sunshine Pop
Rich, heavenly harmonies that just keep rising. Love it.

22. Gordon Lightfoot – “Protocol” (1976) from Blue Jean Rock Poets
I’m a sucker for songs about history and which remind all dictators: no matter how powerful you are, you too shall pass from this world and turn to dust. I think the “boys in their coats of blue” line is a reference to the Battle of Britain in 1940 when British pilots “flew when their eyes were blind” and saved the U.K. from Nazi German invasion. Great songwriting- gives me goosebumps.

23. Mac McCaughan – “Happy New Year (Prince Can’t Die Again)” (2016) from The Jean Goes to College – Part 2
Mac (Superchunk’s singer) wrote and recorded this song in response to the 2016 U.S. presidential election. I didn’t really like this song at first but it has grown on me. It’s just a guy expressing his feelings about what’s going on and putting it to music. More songs like this, please!


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...



Recommended Links:

The Verve – “Bittersweet Symphony”

No comments:

Post a Comment