Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Play It Again, Jean – Part 1

Well, it’s been a year since I started writing this blog so now feels like a good time to celebrate and look back at some of my favorite musical moments from the past twelve months. Obviously I like pretty much all the music featured on my blog and while my mood and opinion may change by the hour, there are some songs I’ve listened to and written about this past year that continue to inspire, touch, and thrill me. Here are some of my favorites- along with brief liner notes for each. Enjoy!

William Shatner

01. Snow Patrol – “Run” (2003) from Good Time Boys
Once upon a time I was flying on a small prop plane to a remote refugee settlement in Africa through a thunderstorm- listening to this song- and quickly coming to terms with my own mortality. Talk about drama. We made it. “Light up.”

02. Bob Dylan – “Desolation Row (Alternate)” (1965) from R. Zimmerman from Minnesota – Part 4
Each time I listen to this song I hear something new and chuckle to myself. That’s the genius of Bob Dylan and all great songwriters- they find new and exciting ways to allow artist and listener to interact with each other. This song is actually pretty spooky. Eat your heart out, Beck.

03. The Mamas & the Papas – “California Dreamin’” (1965) from Oldies: Pass the Fritos
Pure sunshine pop. I dig winter- it’s the nasty East Coast spring that gets the Jean California dreamin’.

04. Rancid – “Wrongful Suspicion” (1998) from Ska Punk!
This song seems surprisingly relevant today. I like when Lars name drops all the ‘90s NYC bands.

05. Eels – “P.S. You Rock My Old World” (1998) from What's the Alternative?
I like songs that seek meaning in each moment and try to find the eternal in everyday life.

06. William Shatner feat. Brad Paisley – “Real” (2004) from Where's Captain Kirk?
Wait, you mean appearing on television doesn't necessarily qualify one as an expert? Hilarious.

07. Commodores – “Nightshift” (1985) from Soul by the Dozen III
Music lost two soul giants in 1984- Jackie Wilson and Marvin Gaye. One of the finest musical tribute songs, this quiet storm nugget sounded heavenly coming out of the radio at night in ‘85- still does. 

The Mamas & the Papas

08. Noel “Paul” Stookey – “The Wedding Song (There Is Love)” (1971) from Folkies
I tied the knot last year in a Catholic wedding. Paul’s (of Peter, Paul, and Mary) composition appears to be theologically correct (he wrote it for Peter’s wedding). Nice friend. Beautiful song.

09. Jackson Browne – “Sky Blue and Black (Live)” (2008) from Blue Jean Rock Poets
Although I didn’t care for the studio recording, this live version is my favorite JB song. I could talk all night about it but perhaps it’s best to just let you experience the truth for yourself. Love hurts.

10. Bee Gees – “Don’t Wanna Live Inside Myself” (1971) from The Brothers Gibb – Part 5
“Don’t wanna live inside myself, I’m much better off alone.” Ouch. Self-honesty hurts but is perhaps a necessary first step on the road to forgiveness, healing, and salvation.

11. The Clash – “Rudie Can’t Fail” (1979) from Punk Saint Patrick’s Day!
Known for being a "serious" political band, I like how this song shows off the Clash's fun side.

12. The Selecter – “On My Radio (Live)” (1991) from Ska Revival!
Everything I love about ska revival- cool, fun, energetic- in one song. The Selecter just tears it up and burns it down on this live recording. “We want more!”

13. Ralph McTell – “Nanna’s Song” (1968) from Folkies
This bittersweet folk song (is there any other kind?) about dreaming and longing has no regrets- though I suppose we’ve all had heavenly dreams from which we didn’t want to awake.

14. James McMurtry – “Long Island Sound” (2015) from Folkies
I’m from Long Island so this song is special to me. The Okie narrator has achieved the “American Dream” and yet is still racked with regret and depression as he sinks deeper into alcoholism. McMurtry gives a one-two punch to your head and your heart. Good songwriting (his dad is a famous novelist).

Leona Lewis

15. Bob Dylan – “Blind Willie McTell” (1983) from R. Zimmerman from Minnesota – Part 4
Dylan has always dug the blues and this song masterfully takes you back in time on a slow riverboat to where it all began- the dark days of slavery. The bard paints a terrifying picture of what lies behind the “American Dream.” Scary. Beautiful. Essential. I heard Dylan sat on this song for years.

16. Bob Dylan – “Most of the Time (Alternate)” (1989) from R. Zimmerman from Minnesota – Part 5
Dylan is no stranger to writing songs for other artists and I like to imagine some ‘80s suit offering Dylan bags of money to write a hit love song for the company’s latest boy band. Dylan then writes and gives them this song which they politely reject and so Dylan keeps it for himself. This is about as pop as Dylan gets- a simple, timeless love song that is sad but not maudlin; fun but not stupid. Even when he’s trying to keep it light, Zimmerman is still miles ahead of the pack.

17. Leona Lewis – “Run” (2008) from Pop Faves
A sort of gospel version of one of my favorite songs. It’s kind of like a “Bridge Over Troubled Water” for the new century. More songs like this, please!

18. Aretha Franklin – “Don’t Play That Song” (1970) from Soul by the Dozen II
Like all great soul and gospel singers, the Queen of Soul knows how to punch you in the gut and doesn’t let go. Hurts so good!

19. William Shatner – “That’s Me Trying” (2004) from Where's Captain Kirk?
Funny, sad, true to life. Why can’t we have more songs like this? That’s Ben Folds and Aimee Mann singing backing vocals.

20. The Civil Wars – “Same Old Same Old” (2013) from Civil War Drama
Blues, folk- sometimes a simpler approach to singing about human nature can be the most effective.

21. The Civil Wars – “Dust to Dust” (2013) from Civil War Drama
I think by the time they broke up the doomed pair were just starting to hit their stride. I like the ending.


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...



No comments:

Post a Comment