Saturday, April 21, 2018

Play It Again, Jean – Part 4

I’m not against listening to new music- I just have a hard time finding any. I still derive pleasure from listening to songs that have stood the test of time as well as in discovering older songs and listening to them for the first time and getting blown away. It’s hard to say why certain songs become our favorites but I guess that’s the mystery and beauty of music- and it’s even better when you have someone to share it with and get blown away together. Here are some more of my favorites from my blog. Enjoy!

Prince

01. Superchunk – “Cool” (1991) from The Jean Goes to College – Part 2
The first Superchunk album I ever purchased (must have been ’92, on cassette tape) was Tossing Seeds- a compilation of the band’s early singles. On “Cool” Superchunk openly sings about ripping off other artists- “there's nothing new”- and their thick, rough, and hook-laden North Carolina version of punk rock sounded like nothing I had ever heard before - or since. (My friend Toast had a crush on Chunk’s female bass player, Laura.)

02. Richard Kapp, Philharmonia Virtuosi – “Copland: Variations on a Shaker Melody (‘Simple Gifts’)” (1994) from Classical Music Faves – Part 1
American classical composers need love too. The song’s dramatic ending really gets to my soul.

03. The Calling – “Wherever You Will Go” (2001) from Farewell, Hard Rock
Not only a guilty pleasure, this contemporary hard rock song takes me back to the summer of 2001 when I had just returned to the United States after two years in the Peace Corps. At that time my future seemed wide open, I was fairly happy, and the world- and commercial radio- still made sense. All that changed on 9/11. (I always assumed this was a Christian rock song based on John 12:24 until I realized I was mishearing the lyrics. Oh well.)

04. Prince – “Purple Rain” (1984) from Soul by the Dozen III
I think this song- Prince’s calling card and part of my childhood- has aged well and is way more psychedelic than most of us remember. Today marks the second anniversary of Prince’s death.

05. Bread – “Everything I Own” (1972) from Rock Me Softly
Make fun of lite rock all you want but let's see you write a better song than this. Talk about hooks. This song sounds great in the car (my dad had it on 8-track).

06. Dar Williams – “The Babysitter’s Here” (1993) from Folkies II
The kind of songwriting your high school English teacher would drool over- let’s throw this in the guilty pleasure pile. In the late ‘70s my babysitter was the girl next door- a pretty, mixed Filipina teenager who used to hold me and give me kisses- she basically became the template for all my future relationships.

07. Guns N’ Roses – “Don’t Cry (Original)” (1991) from Rock Hard
Nearly thirty years later and this song still has power; I witnessed high schoolers in Eastern Europe request it for slow dancing. More songs like this, please!

Bruce Springsteen

08. R.E.M. – “Imitation of Life” (2001) from What's the Alternative?
As usual, I’m not sure what R.E.M. is singing about- maybe it’s just meant to be sweet pop- but this song always draws me in. Awesome video.

09. The Kinks – “Celluloid Heroes” (1972) from Classic Rock: Choice Cuts
From a very young age- thanks to television and cartoons- I knew the names and faces of all the celebrities mentioned in this song (they’re all from Hollywood’s “Golden Age”). Masterful songwriting by Englishman Ray Davies. Why isn’t this song more famous? Too depressing?

10. Van Morrison – “Man Has to Struggle” (2001) from Classic Rock: Choice Cuts
I like songs which address the lasting effects of original sin on humanity; Van may be the only singer who raps about it so directly.

11. Bruce Springsteen – “Born in the U.S.A.” (1984) from Who’s the Boss?
Lately this song makes me think of an entire generation of emotionally-crippled men (a large number of whom were probably sexually abused as children) and how they keep it all inside. These guys gave everything for their country- and their country doesn’t give a shit about them- and they deal with it. My favorite part of the song is the guy who never came home but his grieving brother still has a photo of him in the arms of his Vietnamese girlfriend in Saigon. Best Springsteen line ever?

12. Bruce Springsteen – “Girls in Their Summer Clothes (Winter Mix)” (2008) from Who’s the Boss?
So many great lines in this song. Reminds me of walking down the street, passing one beautiful girl after another, and instantly fantasizing about and jumping ahead to the wonderful future the two of us could have together as husband and wife- and then continuing on my way, never to see them again, and coming to terms with what it all means. Did you know this won a Grammy for best rock song in 2008?

13. Old 97’s – “Big Brown Eyes” (1997) from Alt Country
As a big dude, I can appreciate this band’s exploration of that strange, universal truth of how a small brown eyed woman can somehow control and dominate a much bigger and physically stronger man.

14. Gordon Lightfoot – “If You Could Read My Mind” (1970) from Blue Jean Rock Poets
This Canadian hippie has a talent for finding that sweet spot between lite rock and singer-songwriter music. One of Bob Dylan's favorite artists. This song will outlast all of us.

15. Melanie – “Yankee Man” (1975) from Folkies II
About time we had a song which takes place in Vermont. Like everything about this song.

Hüsker Dü

16. Neil Young – “Revolution Blues” (1974) from Classic Rock: Choice Cuts
Hippies don’t get a free pass with me. I lived with and went to school with hippies and a lot of them were real jerks. I like the way this song explores the dark and scary sides of personal freedom and flower children and how the “American Dream” factory can become a bloody nightmare (ie. the Manson family).

17. The Magnetic Fields – “Very Funny” (1999) from What’s the Alternative?
Another song (show tune?) that for some reason reminds me of a high school musical. I find myself singing it around the house (adding my own lyrics, of course).

18. Hüsker Dü – “Makes No Sense at All” (1985) from The Jean Goes to College – Part 1
I haven’t really listened to this Minneapolis trio since college but I’m starting to rediscover Hüsker Dü’s music. This song seems so simple at first until you realize how carefully it’s been built upon a rock solid foundation and Bob Mould sings the lyrics with such authority. Not crazy about the production- probably sounds better live or blasting out of large speakers.

19. The Darkness – “Love Is Only a Feeling” (2003) from Glam Rock!
Not to pick on the Darkness, but philosophically and theologically speaking love is not a feeling; it is a durable devotion of the will to the genuine good of another person. But I guess none of that means anything when you are heartbroken and missing an old flame.

20. Rites of Spring – “Hidden Wheel” (1987) from Twinkie Force 101: Influences – Part 4
This song meant a lot to me when I was 15 years old and I still think it’s great. I was pretty serious back then- exploring existentialism before I even knew what it was- but I was also a kind and sensitive kid who would have made a great boyfriend- if only I could find a girl who also liked “Hidden Wheel”.

21. Peter Tosh – “Legalize It” (1976) from Easy Skanking
Marijuana legalization is back in the news this week. I’m for decriminalization- no one should go to jail for pot- but do we really want to live in communities where weed is everywhere? Yes, marijuana is a plant but not everything in nature is good for you- there are some plants that are poisonous and will kill you. I’ve seen the damage marijuana can do to people and it’s not funny nor is it something we should exploit for profit. Part of me thinks Tosh- no stranger to smoking weed- is writing this song as some sort of Jamaican political satire. You reap what you sow. At least this song gets people talking- and thinking.

22. Hüsker Dü – “Eight Miles High” (1984) from The Jean Goes to College – Part 2
In the original version of this song, the Byrds went for broke musically but in this cover version Bob Mould goes for broke emotionally. Very cathartic. Perhaps a good song to listen to while you are going through addiction withdrawal- or if all you need is a good cry.


Listen to the playlist on Spotify...

 


No comments:

Post a Comment